How to Make a Claim for Housing Disrepair

64e6b6a8 e459 4d1a 9831 e49564d3c527

You may be able to make a claim for housing disrepair when your landlord has failed to fix any issues you have reported to them. This can include mould, damp, broken boilers and gutters.

There are many factors to consider in making a housing disrepair claim, which is why it’s so important to seek legal advice as soon as possible. This will ensure you get the compensation you are entitled to for the distress and inconvenience caused by the problems.

1. Damage to the property

As a tenant, you have a legal obligation to ensure that your rental property is in good condition. This is a duty that you can’t take lightly as it could have serious effects on your health, wellbeing and quality of life.

If you find that the property you are living in is in a state of disrepair, you may be eligible to make a claim for housing disrepair compensation. This type of claim can help you recover any damage to your home or belongings caused by the disrepair, as well as general damages for the stress and inconvenience this has caused you.

A claim for housing disrepair can be made against your landlord or housing association and involves proving that they breached their duty of care towards you, as a tenant. This will involve proving that they failed to repair the rented property to an acceptable standard, as required by law. Contact the housing disrepair Sheffield team for your housing disrepair claim.

2. Ill health

Living in a property with poor housing conditions can have a negative impact on your health. This can include issues such as poor air quality, carbon monoxide poisoning and gastrointestinal problems among others.

Landlords have a legal duty to ensure their properties are safe to live in. This means they should carry out any repairs required to make the property fit for human habitation and keep it in good condition.

You should expect your landlord to act quickly when you notify them of any issues with the property or any damage that you find in your rented home. If they fail to act in a timely manner you may be entitled to claim housing disrepair compensation.

3. Loss of use of the property

If your property is in disrepair, you may be able to claim compensation from your landlord. This can be in the form of a cash refund or rent reduction.

Your landlord is required to maintain the structure of your property, including drains, external pipes and gutters. They must also keep the equipment and installations for gas, electricity, water and sanitation in working order.

Whether you live in social housing, council-owned or private rented accommodation, your landlord has a duty to keep their properties safe for you and other tenants.

If you think your landlord is failing to carry out repairs, you should try to make them aware of the problem as soon as possible. This can be done through letters, telephone calls or email.

4. Damage to personal property

If you have damaged personal property in your home due to your landlord’s disrepair, you could be entitled to compensation. This would include the cost of repairing or replacing damaged items, as well as loss of income as a result of not being able to use them.

Damage to your possessions can be claimed for if you have been left with damp or mouldy clothing or bedding, furniture damaged by a leak, carpets ruined by water, electrical appliances damaged by electric problems and so on. It’s important to keep evidence of the damages as well as receipts for replacements, so that you can prove how much you have paid out for these goods.

As a tenant, it is your duty to report any issues in your property and arrange for the repairs to be carried out in a timely manner. Failure to do so can be a breach of your tenancy and you will be required to adhere to the Pre-Action Protocol for Housing Conditions Claims (England) (“Disrepair protocol”). This is a tool designed to avoid protracted litigation, which saves both parties unnecessary costs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like